[讨论] Rochette pondering return to OlysTempted by Sochi, Canadian hero could put off r

[复制链接]
鱼类 发表于 2012-7-5 09:46:52 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Rochette pondering return to OlysTempted by Sochi, Canadian hero could put off retirement

BKX2010022595-2.jpg

Joannie ROCHETTE is at a crossroads in her life, unsure which way she'll turn. One road could take her back to the Olympic Games -- this time in Sochi, Russia, in 2014. The other would lead to the rest of her life.

"I would love to be on the Canadian Olympic team once more, for sure," said Rochette, the 2010 Olympic bronze medallist who also competed in Turin in 2006, finishing fifth.

"I would like to go back and have an Olympic experience that is more light on the heart, to have a happy Olympics. But at the same time, it's a big commitment. You cannot do shows and travel as much, but I love to do shows," said the 26-year-old figure skater.

At the Vancouver Olympics, Rochette's mother Therese died of a heart attack just two days before her daughter was to compete. A grief-stricken Rochette carried on and with two gutsy and poignant performances captured hearts around the world.

"That does seem like a long time ago," the six-time national champion told the Free Press in a telephone interview ahead of her seventh, cross-Canada Stars on Ice tour.

After carrying the Canadian flag in the Olympics closing ceremony, Rochette went home to Quebec to grieve in private. She skipped the world championships (she won silver the year before) but soon after began an as yet endless series of ice shows, personal appearances and motivational speeches. As spokesperson for University of Ottawa Heart Institute, she released a workout DVD and collaborated with Birks to design a heart-shaped pendant to raise funds for the Institute's iheartmom campaign. A trip with World Vision, the official charity of Stars on Ice, took her to a fishing village in Honduras. Rochette seldom unpacked her suitcase.

Over three weeks with the Stars tour, she'll play 12 Canadian cities, stopping in Winnipeg on May 9 (7 p.m., MTS Centre). Also on tour are reigning Olympic and world ice dance champions Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, 2014 Olympic medal hopefuls Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje, 2008 world champion Jeff Buttle and four-time world champion Kurt Browning, who choreographed this year's Love 'n' Life-themed show.

Since the 2010 Olympics, Rochette has competed twice against the who's who of women's skating at the invitational Japan Open. She won in 2010 and was second last year.

"I love to compete, but if I don't get invited again (to Japan) I'll still get back to training more intensely this summer because I want to be ready if I decide to compete again at the Olympics," she said.

"I don't want to go as a tourist (a non-contender). I want to be in great shape. For an athlete, it's always hard to go back to an Olympics after you've won a medal because you want to do better.

"I think I'll know (what decision to make) by how I feel on the ice. I love to skate and I think I'm still in good enough shape to go back but, at the same time, I could have other opportunities in my life," she said, continuing her one-person debate.

Rochette is already looking forward to a non-skating life -- finishing her college studies and one day having children. She has watched her boyfriend Guillaume Gfeller (a former Canadian ice dance competitor) make his own transition "to real life."

Skate Canada high performance director Mike Slipchuk plans to meet with Rochette sometime during the Stars tour to discuss her potential return to International Skating Union (ISU) competition. He wants to ensure she understands ISU Olympic eligibility requirements and Skate Canada's expectations before making her decision.

"If Joannie wanted to be part of the 2014 team, we'd love to have her. She's been a great competitor, a great role model for Canadian skating. Who wouldn't want her included in the mix?" said Slipchuk.

"Definitely Joannie would be among the top (competitors). She shows that each year at the Japan Open. Her experience and her international track record speak for itself," he added.

Since Rochette stepped away from ISU competition, her successors haven't come close to filling her boots. International results for the 2012 and 2011 national champions, Amelie Lacoste and Cynthia Phaneuf (also on the Stars tour), were dismal this season, relegating Canadian women to one entry for the 2013 world championships in London, Ont., where Olympic berths will be awarded.

Although Rochette might easily secure two berths with a top-10 result in London next year, her stated plan for now is to attend that event as a spectator.

雪琳 发表于 2012-7-5 11:20:31 | 显示全部楼层
罗大姐回来吧!比赛更好看了!
柏之晓 发表于 2012-7-5 12:17:51 | 显示全部楼层
Joannie ROCHETTE is at a crossroads in her life, unsure which way she'll turn. One road could take her back to the Olympic Games -- this time in Sochi, Russia, in 2014. The other would lead to the rest of her life.
托尼 罗切特处于她人生的十字路口,不确定将转向哪条路。一条路可以把她带回奥林匹克运动会——这次是2014俄罗斯索契。另一条将把她引向人生的其余部分。
"I would love to be on the Canadian Olympic team once more, for sure," said Rochette, the 2010 Olympic bronze medallist who also competed in Turin in 2006, finishing fifth.
“我愿意再次加入加拿大奥林匹克队,毫无疑问。”罗切特,2010奥林匹克铜牌获得者,也参战2006都灵,以第五结束。
Since the 2010 Olympics, Rochette has competed twice against the who's who of women's skating at the invitational Japan Open. She won in 2010 and was second last year.
自2010奥林匹克,罗切特又两次参加日本女子花滑名人公开邀请赛。2010获胜,去年居次。
Since Rochette stepped away from ISU competition, her successors haven't come close to filling her boots. International results for the 2012 and 2011 national champions, Amelie Lacoste and Cynthia Phaneuf (also on the Stars tour), were dismal this season, relegating Canadian women to one entry for the 2013 world championships in London, Ont., where Olympic berths will be awarded.
自从罗切特离开ISU竞赛,她的继任者没有接近她的成绩。2012和2011年全国冠军,Amelie Lacoste和Cynthia Phaneuf的国际成绩,本赛季低迷,把2013伦敦世锦赛加拿大女单入场券降低为一,奥林匹克席位将在那授予。
Although Rochette might easily secure two berths with a top-10 result in London next year, her stated plan for now is to attend that event as a spectator.
尽管罗切特可以在明年伦敦以前十的成绩轻松保住两个席位,她暂时阐明的计划是作为观众参加那比赛。

评分

参与人数 1体力 +50 人气 +5 贡献 +5 收起 理由
鱼类 + 50 + 5 + 5 感谢即时消息

查看全部评分

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表