Michelle Kwan Has New Home With Opening of East West Ice Palace

[复制链接]
小公主 发表于 2005-5-24 11:34:00 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

USFSA上消息

Reigning and nine-time U.S. champion Michelle Kwan has a spectacular new training center to call home. The East West Ice Palace, located in the Los Angeles suburb of Artesia, had its grand opening May 16. Kwan will do all her on-ice and off-ice training at the multi-purpose facility.

The East West Ice Palace, located just a few blocks from where the 91 and 605 freeways meet, features a full-size ice surface, complete fitness center, dance and exercise room, locker rooms, pro shop and snack bar.

“I am tremendously excited about what has been created at the East West Ice Palace,” said Kwan, who is part of the investment group behind the facility. “The goal was to not only provide a terrific place for people who love skating, but also a place that will offer everyone in the community a variety of activities that will promote health, physical fitness and fun.”

In order to accommodate the interests of ice sports enthusiasts of all ages and abilities, the East West Ice Palace offers recreational skating, skating classes, ice hockey, and figure skating. In-house hockey leagues are also planned. The ice surface, measuring 200 x 85 feet, also can be rented by groups or event planners interested in having exclusive use.

There are plenty of activities for non-skaters as well. The 43,000 square foot facility boasts a state-of-the-art fitness center featuring the latest weight training and cardiovascular equipment, and a mirror-lined studio for dance, aerobics and yoga classes. The fitness center also will offer enhanced fitness training for hockey and figure skaters, family members, and the community at large. Many of the medals, trophies and awards that Kwan has won in her brilliant skating career also will be on display in a special gallery area.

“The East West Ice Palace provides a very unique opportunity for East West Bank to make a difference in the community,” said Dominic Ng, chairman, president and CEO of East West Bank. “We are proud to put our name on this state-of-the-art facility, and to join Michelle Kwan in opening the Palace doors to Southern California's recreational ice sport community.”

“The city of Artesia is one big family, and we would like to welcome with open arms the newest addition to our family, the Kwan family,” said Artesia Mayor Larry Nelson. “The level of excitement in the city is incredible in anticipation of the opening of this wonderful facility.”

The East West Ice Palace is located at 11446 Artesia Blvd in the city of Artesia. For more information, visit www.eastwesticepalace.com or call 562.809.6200.

楼主| 小公主 发表于 2005-5-24 11:38:00 | 显示全部楼层

Grand Opening May 16, 2005

很大的滑冰场啊!我看是现在广州那个的两倍啊!!

滑冰的海豚 发表于 2005-5-24 12:25:00 | 显示全部楼层

看来小关又为LA的人民做了件好事,嘿嘿

不仅吸引到银行的投资,连市长也把面子给足了

说不定多年以后又一个小关就从这里成长起来

看来小关的影响力真的很强啊

另据报道关颖珊的姐姐将指导花滑,姐夫将指导曲棍球,不知道是不是真的。

柏山艾莉 发表于 2005-5-24 13:58:00 | 显示全部楼层

关真的是气质逼人啊 典型的自信挂在脸上

希望下一代的关又能在关退了之后顶上来

alexes 发表于 2005-5-24 17:18:00 | 显示全部楼层
以下是引用滑冰的海豚在2005-5-24 12:25:38的发言:

另据报道关颖珊的姐姐将指导花滑,姐夫将指导曲棍球,不知道是不是真的。

我怎么记得她姐夫是花样滑冰选手,曾经获得88年奥运会第3名。关的哥哥倒是曾经打过冰球(不是曲棍球啊)的

楼主| 小公主 发表于 2005-5-24 18:02:00 | 显示全部楼层

Another article

Ice queen opens Palace

By Jenny Marder Staff writer

ARTESIA ¡ª "The last time I stood in front of a group this big, I was going into the Navy," Artesia Mayor Larry Nelson joked, amid a throng of mikes and flashing cameras. "I hope it works out better this time." Photo gallery: Ice Palace grand opening

It was a big day for the little city Monday, when Michelle Kwan, five-time world champion and nine-time national champion, dedicated her new ice skating facility with a short spin on the ice and then a quick rally with L.A. Kings player Luc Robitaille.

The East West Ice Palace, which looms above surrounding stores on Artesia Boulevard, opened Monday to skaters, dancers and fitness enthusiasts.

"This is the most exciting thing that's happened here in I can't tell you how long," Nelson said.

The 43,000 square-foot Ice Palace was designed by Michelle's father, Danny Kwan, a hands-on owner, who spent 20 hours a day at the site during construction. Now complete, it will serve as his daughter's new training facility.

"My dad has put his heart and soul into this building," Michelle Kwan said. "And so has my mom. ¡­ Besides my brother, Ron, my sister, Karen and me, this is their baby."

Recreational skating, a skating school, pick-up hockey and hockey leagues will be offered at the facility.

In addition to the full-sized ice rink, the Palace features a mirror-lined studio for dance, aerobics and yoga classes, a fitness area with 120 machines, 37 pieces of cardio equipment and six plasma television screens and a trophy room for Kwan's awards.

Born in Torrance, the 24-year-old Olympic medalist began skating at the age of 5, hooked after watching her older brother Ron play hockey. Two years later, she won her first competition.

Since, she has won 43 championships, including five World Championships, nine U.S. National Championships and two Olympic medals. She is the most decorated figure skater in U.S. history. Although she is a breathtaking figure skater, Kwan proved Monday to be less than impressive with a hockey stick. Twice, she tried to hit the goal and missed. But she did it with good humor, throwing back her head and laughing at her blunder, finally scoring a goal to cheers from the crowd. After that, both Kwan and Robitaille helped a cluster of youngsters as they wobbled their first time around an ice rink.

"When I was 5 years old, I started skating at a small rink up in Palos Verdes, where I fell in love with the sport," Kwan said. "I hope the East West Ice Palace will also make skaters and hockey players fall in love with the ice."

Bob Miller, announcer for the Kings, called the Palace "the most beautiful ice arena I have ever seen inside. It's a thrill for me to be on an ice rink where someone is actually skating on the ice," Miller added, referring to the labor dispute that has canceled the entire National Hockey League season.

loooop 发表于 2005-5-25 00:15:00 | 显示全部楼层
以下是引用alexes在2005-5-24 17:18:39的发言:

我怎么记得她姐夫是花样滑冰选手,曾经获得88年奥运会第3名。关的哥哥倒是曾经打过冰球(不是曲棍球啊)的

那她的姐夫是加拿大冰舞选手Robert McCall还是美国双人滑选手Peter Oppegard?反正我知道肯定不是彼得连科..........
alexes 发表于 2005-5-25 09:02:00 | 显示全部楼层
以下是引用loooop在2005-5-25 0:15:42的发言: 那她的姐夫是加拿大冰舞选手Robert McCall还是美国双人滑选手Peter Oppegard?反正我知道肯定不是彼得连科..........

关的姐夫是美国双人滑选手Peter Oppegard。Robert McCall在91年就因爱滋病病去世了。

楼主| 小公主 发表于 2005-5-25 11:00:00 | 显示全部楼层
Kwan family brings smiles to many faces

It all began with a skating lesson at the small Peninsula Center rink.

"I remember there was a group getting a lesson before I went on the ice," she said. "They were sitting in a circle, and the teacher was teaching them how to fall. I went, 'Oh, no.' ''

Michelle Kwan shook her head.

"I remember thinking, 'Why are you showing them how to fall?' " she said.

You can hear the indignant 5-year-old voice in her head.

"Like the kids here today, when I got on the ice I grabbed the boards and held on for my life," she said, smiling at this memory.

The children Monday afternoon skated, some sort of, after the ribbon cutting at the opening of the East West Ice Palace, a sparkling new facility for skating with a fitness center the Kwan family has built in Artesia.

"This is a great rink," gushed Luc Robitaille. "This is a castle."

For those who need a reminder, Robitaille skated for the Kings when the Kings skated.

Bob Miller, who you may remember as television play-by-play announcer of the same Kings, was master of ceremonies.

"It's a thrill for me to be somewhere where someone actually is skating on ice," he said.

Miller got a sneak preview of the facility.

"This is the most beautiful ice facility I have ever seen," he said.

Kwan, coming up fast on her 25th birthday, was the center of attention, the reason there were more than a dozen television crews from local, national and international stations.

"I want to thank my parents," she said. "I'm just filling in for them."

She thanked her parents, Estella and Danny, several times. She talked about her brother Ron and sister Karen. This is a close family. It is a grounded family.

Estella and Danny prefer to remain in the background. Given their preference, they are way in the background.

Before Michelle won one of her nine U.S. National Championships in figure skating, before she won one of her five World Championships, she got a taste of what was to come on an otherwise quiet Wednesday, March 9, 1994, during a press conference at a hotel near LAX.

This 4-foot-11, 88-pound 13-year-old had been an alternative to Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding at the Lillehammer Olympics. A group of reporters hammered her with questions about Kerrigan's typically bitter complaints following Oksana Baiul winning the Olympic gold medal.

She handled it with a smile and poise.

"This is only a sport," her father said after the press conference.

Only a sport?

Yes. And no. He has watched his youngest child grow into a mature young woman standing 5-2¼ with many peaks and some come-crashing-down valleys in her career. Major corporations line up to secure her services as their spokeswoman.

Now they have this new facility, this new business. It's in another league from the small family restaurant they once had in Torrance.

"I think the key is you want them to be good citizens, to have a good life, have a happy life," he said.

This was a father speaking of all his children.

"If you don't enjoy what you're doing, you're not going to have a happy life," he said.

The words resonate on May 16, 2005, in the smiles of family members. Clearly, Estella and Danny got it right.

Michelle handled her speech, the ribbon cutting, a short skating exhibition, some stick handling with Robitaille, a mass TV interview, some one-on-ones and the obligatory autograph signing with the same smile and poise she had in '94 when it was all so new.

"I remember that press conference," she said. "I was wondering, 'Why are all these people here? Why are there so many cameras?' I couldn't believe they were for me."

Along with the poise, she now is an accomplished, polished speaker. She wore a black suit for the speech and ribbon cutting, changed to a sparkling silver outfit for her skating exhibi

Penny 发表于 2005-5-27 10:31:00 | 显示全部楼层
那看来关以后会像露露那样自己有个冰场当教练哦。这样的话,她的徒弟很有可能代表美国和露露的徒弟代表中国继续在国际赛场上战斗啦!
loooop 发表于 2005-5-27 11:41:00 | 显示全部楼层
哈哈,我觉得楼上的想太多了
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表